What are three things that reduce the amount of taxes you owe?

Here's an introduction to some basic strategies that could help lower your taxes: Earn tax-free income. Some earnings are not subject to income tax. Contribute to a flexible spending account. Contribute to a 401k account or IRA.

Generally, the longer you can wait to pay taxes, the better. Deferring income from the current year to the next is a way to delay paying taxes and reducing taxable income for the current year. If you establish a monthly payment plan with the IRS (called an installment agreement), the IRS will halve your penalty for non-payment. If your hard work has paid off and you expect to receive a year-end bonus, this additional money could push you to another tax bracket and increase the amount of taxes you owe, according to Greene-Lewis.

Taking a course to advance your career or improve your skills is a great way to lower your taxes, Greene-Lewis says. Unlike some credits (such as the earned income credit and the additional child tax credit), the savings credit is not refundable if the credit exceeds the taxpayer's tax liability. Contributions to a traditional individual retirement account may be tax-deductible in the year you make them. Your contributions will be made with pre-tax money, resulting in a direct reduction in your taxable income for the year and, ultimately, your total tax liability.

For every dollar you earn from your employer, you must pay a certain amount in taxes depending on your income level and where you live. While there's no doubt that you can implement tax loss collection on your own, it's easy to do so through automated advisory services such as Betterment, Wealthfront or Charles Schwab, each of which automatically seeks opportunities to accumulate losses on a regular basis, reducing the tax exposure of investors throughout the year. With any of these tax-advantaged investment accounts, the money in your paycheck (in the case of a 401 (k) plan) or your bank account (in the case of a traditional IRA) is deposited before paying taxes. The above article is intended to provide generalized financial information designed to educate a wide segment of the public; it does not provide personalized advice on taxes, investments, legal, or other businesses and professionals.

So it's no surprise that people in this situation often ask the IRS to withdraw or reduce their interest. Jacksons have the right to apply for the Retirement Savings Contribution Credit to further reduce their tax bill. When you sign up for your ESPP, you'll deduct the money from your after-tax paycheck with the intention of buying shares in your company and, in many cases, you'll be offered a discount (typically around 15%) on the stock price that's only available to employees. The change in the acceptance of distributions may affect taxes, depending on the individual's tax bracket when they begin to withdraw funds.

There are a handful of tax deductions that are recognized in the year they're paid, Greene-Lewis says. The Jacksons are in luck because IRS regulations allow taxpayers age 50 and older to make “catch-up” contributions to their 401k and IRA plans.